Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mixed Fruit Salad

Sometimes I have a craving for fruit salad, but the kind at the store is either prepackaged in weird syrup or juice and "fresh cut" salad is sold at an exorbitant price. Also, they usually have cantaloupes or melons in them, which I don't hate but I also don't prefer. I picked up a really cheap pineapple at Aldi, some grapes at Cermak Produce (one of Chicago's many great locally own markets, this was my first visit), as well as some kiwis and a lemon. This was the first time I ever cut a pineapple! It was easy. I also have a good knife. I should have followed this guy's advice better because I think I wasted a lot of fruit. Then I washed the grapes, plucked them from their stems, and peeled and sliced 4 kiwi. I tossed it all together in a bowl with the juice of one lemon to act as a preservative and give it a little tartness.

Here's the breakdown:
1 pineapple $1.22
4 kiwi $1.10
13.22 oz of grapes $5.31
1 lemon $0.19

Once I finished, I put the mixed fruit salad in 20 oz containers. I filled up three, and plan on eating them for breakfast for the next few days. They came out to be about $2.61 per container. You could probably get something like this for just a dollar more at one of Chicago's locally owned produce markets, but you'll pay twice as much for this at a major chain store. I just hope the fruit lasts and doesn't get slimy before I can gobble it down! Though this is a very healthy breakfast, it's only going to be a special treat for me. I can do way better on price by eating a banana and having a bowl of cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment