Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Turkey bacon wrapped breadsticks with parmesan cheese

Bacon Parmesan bread sticks prior to baking.

We were trying to plan something easy to take to our friends' annual New Year's Day party, and my bf suggested that we make something that his ex-coworker made for work gatherings which were always devoured instantaneously. He recommended a slight variation on this and I picked up three packages of soft Pillsbury bread sticks instead of hard bread sticks. Also, we have friends that don't eat pork so we decided to make them with turkey bacon instead.

I found the prices on the Pillsbury bread sticks to be pretty atrocious, however, there was a 75 cents off coupon if I bought 3. The list price on these guys was 3.59 for an 11 oz package of 12 bread sticks, so with the 75 cents off and tax added on, my bill came to $10.26 at Jewel for 3. ALDI doesn't carry bread stick dough. Sigh. And Jewel doesn't even have it's own knock off brand. However, I bet you could do an interesting variation on this using tubed crescent rolls which are more readily available on the cheap. ALDI has a pretty decent turkey bacon in their Fit & Active® line of "healthy" foods available for 1.99 for a 12 oz package, and they have Parmesan cheese for $1.99 for a 5 oz tub.

Cost breakdown including tax after the jump.
1 bread stick at .92 oz @ $0.31 per oz =  $0.29
1 slice of ALDI turkey bacon at .60 oz @ $0.17 per oz = $0.10
1 pinch of ALDI shredded Parmesan cheese at .15 oz @ $0.41 per oz = $0.06

Total cost of each bread stick = $0.45
x 36 bread sticks = $16.20

There were only 2 left when we left. 

In the coming weeks, I'll investigate if I could have done this cheaper by making bread sticks by hand, and if it would be worth my time. Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk and butter are incredibly cheap per ounce. Flour itself, if you get it at ALDI, is only 2 cents per oz. Crazy, huh?

The next day, we ate whole wheat bagel bacon egg & cheese sandwiches for a late breakfast using a few extra slices of turkey bacon. Here's the breakdown on that:

1 Thomas' whole wheat bagel purchased at the Bimbo Bread Outlet    $0.17
2 slices of ALDI Turkey Bacon $0.20
1 slice of Boar's Head Vermont Cheddar Cheese (on sale at HarvesTime!)   $ 0.19
1 Trader Joe's Grade A Large Egg    $0.11

Cost per sandwich: $0.67
Lazy Sunday watching the I.T. Crowd on Netflix Instant = priceless
 

2 comments:

  1. You can't eat for much cheaper than these two menus. You are eating per person for less than a $1.....Is that the idea? If so, awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Velva, I'd love to eat for less than $1 a person per meal! Right now, my goal is more to eat what I want to, but get the best deals on food and see how much my meals cost. Hopefully after a few months of analyzing costs, I'll be more in tune with how to eat within my grocery budget. It also motivates me to not waste food and figure out how to use things that are about to expire.

    ReplyDelete