Friday, January 7, 2011

Potato, Carrot, Celery Soup

Clean out the cupboard potato soup
You can't do much cheaper than potato soup. And on a really cold day, it's very comforting. I decided to throw in all of the things sitting in my fridge that needed to be used as well, including carrots, celery, mustard greens, turkey bacon and a little non-fat yogurt.
Here's the breakdown:
1 carrot $0.17
1 bag of Celery $0.60
2 potatoes $0.36
1/2 cup of Trader Joe's Organic Non-fat yogurt $0.40
1 bunch of mustard greens $1.01
4 slices of turkey bacon $0.40
1 onion $0.16
32 oz carton of Aldi Fit&Active chicken stock (used in the soup and to cook the mustard greens) $0.99
The total came to $4.09 and it made about 3 large servings. So, basically, my dinner was $1.36 + the cost of whatever olive oil I used to sauté the vegetables before pouring the broth in. I'm having the last of it for lunch today.
Possible ways of cutting down the cost of this meal would be to:
1. Make my own yogurt - I'm going to try it this weekend!
2. Make my own stock - I'm going to start saving vegetable pieces to make vegetable stock
3. Leave out the bacon - I just happened to have some in the fridge I didn't want to go to waste

4 comments:

  1. Potato soup is a soul satisfying soup. Awesome. Making your own stock will bring your soups to a new level.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making your own stock is the BEST. Just freeze the "bones" of vegetables (except for squash and things in the cabbage-broccoli family; they don't taste so good in a stock) and actual chicken bones if you eat 'em. When your freezer is overflowing, get a big fat pot, start your mirepoix (carrots/onions/celery) in some oil, throw your herbs in, and then the frozen veg with enough water to cover. Let it simmer for at least two hours. It will probably not taste awesome. (Jacques Pepin says to expect something along the lines of dirty water!) Let it cool, and pour it off into a large container. Put it in the fridge overnight, so the fat solidifies and is easy to skim off. Then pour it into smaller containers and you are ready to freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking that I'd have to freeze the vegetable parts because I wouldn't get enough of them to make stock in time without them getting moldy and gooey. Glad to know that's standard practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chinese take-out containers (which I'm sure you're not doing much of these days) are kind of perfect for storing the frozen bits, and the soup tubs are perfect for storing the stock (and for portioning it for small-batch meals). Plus, it's super green!

    ReplyDelete